Saturday, February 21, 2009

John Averill, Graphic Designer


At a book sale last summer, I came across a selection of these small pamphlets that had obviously been letterpress printed.

Of course, I had no idea who John Averill was, but I could tell from the artwork and the typesetting and the funny vignettes that a lot of time went into these pamphlets, and the quality of the design made it impossible to leave without one. Now, I wish I had picked them all up!

I haven't found much information about him, but it appears that he was a graphic designer in the 1950s, and he created these pamphlets to promote his work. He would mail them out to agencies, follow up with a call (or sometimes be called), and that could lead to work designing ad artwork, etc.

Today's Inspiration (a blog about illustration from the 1940s and 1950s -- zowie!) has a nice profile of John Averill, with some good photos of various pieces of his work, including some ads for 7Up.

No comments: